Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Daughter





I've had somewhat of an epiphany today. Nothing spectacular, but for me, it was eye-opening and hopefully, life changing.

I absolutely adore my daughter. The love that I feel for her is immeasurable.  I know her worth, and how precious she is. So why, for so long, have I been talking so badly about this little girl? It hurts my heart to even see that sentence written, but it is true.

Typically, when I talk about Ari with friends or family, I make it a point to mention how worried I am about her when she gets older. How she'll "give me a run for my money", or how much of a diva, or firecracker she is. How much harder she is than her brother was at her age. Why do I focus on picking out these negative traits? Why do I vocalize those fears or frustrations?

I realize venting is important, to a degree, and more or less, that is what I'm doing. However, I legitimately have fear of having a wild, sassy, disrespectful teen-aged daughter some day. That folks, is what I call, future tripping.

My epiphany was this: the more negative energy I send out, and the more I entertain my fears, the more likely those things will become my reality. Celebrating my daughter's wonderful qualities, and choosing to focus on all the greatness that comes along with my beautiful girl, is what is important.

She is strong-willed, determined, bright, spunky, hilarious, tender, gorgeous and perfect, just the way she is. I would not change one thing about her. She is a gift to me, and everyday I find myself staring at her while she roams the house, dancing, twirling, reading, or kissing her favorite stuffed animal of the moment, and all I feel is gratitude and love.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment